February and March Review

February and March were relatively quiet months as far as Bath were concerned. With still numerous players out injured and others away on international duty Bath were left scraping the barrel to put out a match day 23.

First match was a dead rubber in the Anglo-Welsh away to the Newcastle Falcons, a well fought battle saw Bath just get edged out 16-15 to end the Anglo-Welsh campaign winless. But a draw and two defeats by one points show that the Blue, Black and White continued to fight throughout the tournament.

Next up was an all-important home clash against Northampton Saints in the Premiership. Both sides are in search of a playoff spot at the end of the season. Both sides were in fine form and an exciting final 15 minutes saw the lead swap hands four times. The final change came with the last kick of the game as Rhys Priestland coolly slotted the winning penalty to make the score 32-30 and put Bath firmly in contention for the playoff spot.

Embed from Getty Images

Back-to-back home games saw Harlequins visit the Rec. Bath ended up winning this game mainly thanks to the partnership forming between Kahn Fotuali’I and Priestland. The half-back pair controlled the game and led Bath to a 22-12 victory. Unfortunately, in this game Fotuali’I and Francois Louw both got cited and received two weeks ban.

The first away Premiership fixture in this period was our first away trip to Bristol. The less said about that the better. Gavin Henson scored all his sides points as he inspired Bristol to only their third victory of the season.

The final two fixtures in this period made it obvious where Bath deserved to be in the Premiership table. Arguably the best two sides in England Wasps and Saracens were our opponents.

Wasps came to the Rec and Kurtley Beale put on a show that no one from Bath had an answer to. The Australian was phenomenal and guided his side to a 24-3 victory over Bath. It was clear to see Bath were missing their internationals and the inspirational Fotuali’i.

Following two weeks off and the conclusion of the Six Nations Bath travelled to Allianz Park attempting to do the double over English and European champions Saracens. That did not happen. A near faultless second half display from Saracens handed Bath their heaviest Premiership defeat in 15 years as they were beat 53-10.

There was something to smile about as Bath trio George Ford, Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson were part of an England side who won back-to-back Six Nations, although they were denied back-to-back Grand Slams.

Embed from Getty Images

However, it was finally confirmed after months of speculation that Ford would be leaving the club at the end of the season to join Leicester Tigers, with Bath native Freddie Burns coming the other way.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s